Sunday, July 13, 2014

Home Remedies for the Common Cold

Hello, my fellow sneezers!

You'll probably see a dozen posts on curing the common cold, and I've seen them too over the years! So I won't be repeating (I hope not) anything, and it's genuine advice from one cold-nose, to another. :)

NOTE : I am no doctor/nurse/brand-endorser. I swear by all the products I am using in this post!

WARNING : I'll be brutally honest about mucous and puke. Don't be disgusted, it happens to everyone, it's natural!

SORE THROATS 
1. A for Alex - the GO TO cough drop for a sore throat! It's over the counter, and though more expensive than Vicks, you'll actually feel a significant difference. Stock your kit with these!

2. Sucking on 'Mishri' - Sugar lumps or rock sugar. Whenever you're developing a hoarse voice or need something to sooth your throat, even better than candies or too many lozenges, suck on a couple sugar lumps.

3. Spiced Water - not literally. But bring out that thermos flask, and add some boiled drinking water into it. Add 2 green cardamoms. Sip small quantities.

FEVER
I have had SO many medicines that I'm beginning to feel that over-the-counter medicines don't work on me anymore. So I've been having this - Giloy Ghan Vati. 2 tablets, 3 times a day. It's not immediately effective like crocin. But this ayurveda medicine takes away the weakness and fixes up your immunity, plus it's safer. You can Google more of its goodness.


Tip No. 1 - I learned this recently. If you use a fan, keep it on low. And if you're using the air-con, the right temperature is 25. Furthermore, if you're using the two devices together, it's better to have the fan at bare-minimum, or you'll have a stuffier nose. Don't ask me why, I just know it's true for me!


RUNNY NOSE
Tip No. 1 - Instead of going all sophisticated with Kleenex, use a hand-sized towel to blow into. Or even better - blow at the bathroom sink (yes, Indians are more comfortable at it).
Tip No. 2 - DON'T BLOW YOUR NOSE TOO HARD. It's going to be make you dizzy, and can pop your brain vessel! No jokes!
Tip No. 3 - If your stuffed, don't blow. Steam. When you're runny, only then blow. And for heaven's sake, don't suck it in! :/

CHEST CONGESTION
Tip No.1 - If you're coughing a lot while in bed, stack up a couple of pillows. You won't feel as agitated.
Tip No. 2 - Don't have rice. I've always been told it makes cough worse. Again, don't ask me why!
Tip No. 3 - Do at your own risk! In the morning, stand at the bathroom sink before you do anything else, and cough your lungs out (not literally). You'll get rid of a lot of built-up congestion, and it'll lighten your chest when it's all out. And let me just put the idea out there - you could use your toothbrush to poke at the end of your tongue/throat to help the stuff come out.

SOME OTHER TIPS
Tip No. 1 - If you're coughing too much, avoid eating heavy meals. I've often ended up vomiting it all out.
Tip No. 2 - Don't swallow mucous. It can make you nauseous.
Tip No. 3 - No matter how tired or energy-less you are, take a quick, warm shower. Take my word on this one. Why? Because I'm not afraid to admit I don't shower more than once in 24 hours. *wide grin*

That's all buddy. Hope this post helps.
Take care! :)

Note: Image courtesy - 'google images'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment